Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Tagged Myself



I saw this tag at Busy Intersection. I love random stuff like this. She doesn't like to tag others, so I tagged myself. I don't like to tag, either, so consider yourself tagged if you want to be!

The rules:

1. Grab the nearest book.

2. Open to page 56.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next 2 to 5 sentences, along with these rules.

5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual book. Pick the CLOSEST!

6. Tag five other people to do the same! (or not)

The closest book is one that I am reading, and I had not yet reached page 56 (but I'm close). I'm reading it slowly, because it's an upsetting book, and I can't read it at bedtime like I usually do with my books. I don't want to get bad dreams! It's a book worth reading, though. It's called A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. It takes place in Sierra Leone.

Now here's the text from page 56:

His face was too wrinkled to still be alive, yet his dark skin was shiny and he spoke slowly, gobbling the words in his jaws before he let them out. As he spoke, the veins on his forehead became visible through his skin.

"Everyone ran when they heard of the 'seven boys' on their way here. I couldn't run at all. So they left me behind. No one was willing to carry me and I didn't want to be a burden," he said.
----------

The quilt pictured above is one I saw in an antique store, and I really wanted to buy it! I couldn't afford it, though. Bummer.

2 comments:

Andrea, the little collector said...

Oh, I'd want to buy that quilt too!

I love your February lotto blocks and your 25 list. Fun to read a bit more about you. I like visiting your blog!

Have a beautiful day.

Sweet P said...

I did your Tag. You can read about it here:
http://coffeetimequiltstudio.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-found-this-tag-on-giraffe-dreams.html

The antique quilt is gorgeous. Too bad you couldn't buy it.