Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Books Are My Friends


This is my son, reading in my sister's bookstore - I love having a bookstore in the family!

I'm loving my book club. We meet at church. We have very lively discussions. Sometimes about our book, but many times about everything under the sun, usually with a faith or church bent to the discussion. The book we just finished was not our favorite. I won't even say anything about it, because I disliked it so much that I stopped reading at chapter 2. But we still had a good discussion. Now we are starting Speaking of Faith by Krista Tippett. I am looking forward to digging into this one.

However, there are too many books in my head, and in my To Be Read pile. I am currently reading two books at once! I don't like doing that, but I frequently do, because I just can't wait to start some of them that seem like they'll be so good. And aren't words and language just scrumptious? Yesterday's post included a quote from one of my books... I loved the language! ".....he spoke slowly, gobbling the words in his jaws before he let them out." Isn't that just poetic?

Yesterday on the radio I heard an interesting interview with a top interpreter from ?? somewhere in the Middle East. He has been involved in high-powered meetings with presidents and prime ministers and such. He spoke very beautifully about the power of language and its beauty and meaning. And even the meaning in what is not said. These are the things that interpreters listen to! I am also an interpreter (Sign Language and English). I listen to all those same things, and my work involves understanding the meanings, the implications, the emotions of what is said and what is implied and the meaning in what is not said. Then I must convey all those affects in the other language. What a great job!

Aren't words fun? Words and books are my friends.

7 comments:

Torina said...

I had to check your blog before I left this morning. Glad I did! I love books! I love how they smell, the different fonts, the feel of the pages, and of course, the delectable words :)

Twisted Quilts said...

I was just thinking the other day that I wish I could read two books at the time. My husband has one book downstairs and one upstairs. We are now reading Nelson Demille. We both reread Gold Coast. Then he read Up Country which is about Vietnam. He was in Vietnam and he really enjoyed it. I am reading it now. We like to read the same books. We just love books.

Jill said...

Words are beautiful - thanks for reminding us! I'm looking forward to SOF as well. . . I figure it has to be good if Elizabeth Gilbert is quoted on the front cover. I adore her!

linda said...

In my quilting sketch book I write words. I love words. Who knows, one day they may make it into a quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Your sister has a bookstore? Lucky!! How about, if I ever get one of my books published, I come there for a book signing, bring my quilting along, of course, and we can finally meet in person? Huh?

LoL Well, a girl can dream, right?

hetty said...

Wow, a bookstore in the family! Sounds great! I love words too. I often read two books at a time. Sometimes even more than that. I just read which ever book turns me on at a particular moment. Not much reading going on now though. 'They' closed my library for renovations! It won't reopen until 2010! And it's the only library around here that is close enough and that I can get in to with my scooter! Bummer!

Mary Johnson said...

It's not unusual for me to read more than one book at a time especially if one is a bit slow...I'll read for a while then find a quick one to read, then go back to the first.

I've been making good progress on my book UFO's - I had a couple shelves with books that had been passed along for me to read and I'm down to one shelf now.

Mysteries are my favorites.