Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Too True Tuesday

Accidental Mommy is doing a thing she calls Too True Tuesday. Tell about a time when you were embarrassed, or when you did something embarrassing, or that you are embarrassed to admit... the stories have already been funny. Here's mine.. check the others out by following this link: Too True Tuesday.

This is a story about how I was ashamed AND embarrassed by something I didn't realize I should do... back when our daughter was in after-school day care, she had this strange rash on her neck . We had no idea what it was, so we took her to the doctor and discovered that she had lice. Lots of 'em! We went home and did the big lice treatment on her (gross!) and on all of us (a little gross, but not as bad), and on the entire house. What a job!!

The next day we sent her back to school and to day care, where the day care worker asked her what the rash had been, and poor DD said "I don't know." We hadn't bothered to tell the day care about it, and had left poor DD to be the one to have to answer the question. No wonder she "didn't know."

A couple days later we decided we should tell the day care what had happened. They were NOT happy that we had waited two days to inform them of the lice... a long weekend was coming up, and another family in the day care had already left town. The day care itself had to scramble to clean thoroughly and to try to contact the families just before the long weekend.

I don't know why we were so naive or stupid that we didn't know we should have let the school and day care know immediately. 22 years later I still feel embarrassed when I think of it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny! Lice is so gross...Lydia had it in 2nd grade...her locker mate had it and hmmm and I think that is how Lydia got it...so gross!

Twisted Quilts said...

I remember dealing with the lice issue when my kids were in elementary school. I hated those little fine toothed combs that you had to use to get it the eggs out of their hair! It was so embarrassing.

Melissa Kaye said...

Don't you just love the little combs for lice? Could they be any more annoying? I remember how much I hated going through the process when we had it at our house growing up!

The Accidental Mommy said...

AW, so everyone had to know it came from your family! AWWWW!
Though I have to confess that I might have done the same, not really knowing or thinking about telling everyone on the planet lol.