Saturday, February 05, 2011

30 Days of Photos: 6

A picture of a person I'd love to trade places with for a day... I have to explain this one.



This picture is of a Walk for Peace some of our staff and students did in 2010. I had to search hard to find a picture of students not from the front, so I could post this assignment without showing a student's face.

I always wanted to trade places with any number of my students. I worked with Deaf/Hard of Hearing students for 27+ years, and always wanted to get inside their heads. I want to see what it is like to live Deaf. Not just plug my ears and try to imagine. I want to really experience it. What is it like to make one's way through the day, encountering communication barriers and other challenges due to being a visual person in an auditory (and judgmental) world. More specifically, I would like to be a Deaf student watching me as an interpreter, and/or any other interpreter, to see how the process looks and works from the receiver's end. Does it make any sense? Do I, Carol, look like I know what I'm doing, or am I mangling the whole process?

Wouldn't that be an interesting trade?

1 comment:

JeannetteLS said...

I would think you'd be able to learn a whole lot... but I don't think I would ever be brave enough to do this without a guarantee that in a month I could have what I am used to BACK. We are also a very visual world. I go back and forth and round and round about what if I had to "choose" one of those senses to lose. For me, because I write, read and paint, I guess it would be hearing--but I also know how isolating it would be. And never to hear singing? Or lilacs blooming? What an important job you had. Anyway, I am new here and have already enjoyed some earlier blogs. I found you at Jo's blog. And I'm glad I did.