Friday, February 15, 2013

Friday Books: Minnesota Authors



This week's book: Angle of Declination by Doug Mayfield and Sally Mayfield. The story is about a newly married couple and their first year of marriage. They do some moving around, take a couple of jobs in a cavalier, "why not" sort of way, have various adventures and moral dilemmas. As newly married people, they are trying to get used to being together as a couple. There is something of a mystery-like feel to the book, although it is not classified as a mystery. The mystery part is very mild (just enough for me, a person who doesn't read mysteries).

This was a really good book, showing the twists and turns of values and ethics. One can declare this is right and that is wrong, but life throws you curve balls, and the answers are not so clear. This book illustrates those dilemmas perfectly. It's very well written and a good "grabber" - a page turner. Added bonus: the authors are from Minnesota.

I give it 5 stars.

7 comments:

Sextant said...

Looks good. I am trusting you on this one. I bought it for my Kindle.

Love the old compass photo. I am a sucker for navigational stuff.

Carol E. said...

Oh, comments like yours make me nervous. I have no control over your like or dislike of the book. I can just tell you what I thought. My mom liked it so much, she read it twice. I hope you like it, and if you don't, don't blame me!

Unknown said...

Minnesota is always a chilly place for me to read. Sandford always writes of that State and I feel cold when reading. Like your take on the book and shall look for it.
Great catching up as I've been away for ages from blogging. The photos of the quilts show that some simple quilts make such bold statements. Thanks.

Sextant said...

If I hate it Carol, its all your fault! You said it was good.

Nah I just joshing you. Like you say, you can only state what you like in a book. Look at the star ratings of any popular book, there are usually almost as many people that hate the book as like it. Don't hold yourself responsible for other people's tastes.

I go through this all the time at the book club. Someone suggests a turd, it wins the vote and everyone hates it. Then I got some one in Internet tears stating that they are so sorry that their suggestion was disliked and they will never suggest again. So I have to commiserate with them, tell them that it was not their fault that that club voted for it, and that sometimes in life you get stuck with a turd.

The best way to avoid that is to say nothing about everything. What a quiet world it would be.

Having said all that, if this book stinks, I will just go and rip up a quilt.

Sextant said...

BTW, I did start it and it seems excellent, but some one talked me into reading our alternated book at the club, and I want to do that while we are still discussing it this month.

Carol E. said...

Off to an excellent start. That's good.

Sextant said...

Finished the book! One of the best books that I have read in quite a while.