Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dazzling Quilt Show

Well... I must say that I am not an unbiased observer. I am very biased! I am a proud member of a good local quilt guild, and I love when our show goes up. Yesterday I attended the speaker and once again browsed around the quilt show. Saw some gorgeous quilts. What fun! It's dazzling, if I do say so myself.

The speaker was Maxine Rosenthal, the creator of the One Block Wonder. She was quite funny and entertaining and had some beautiful quilts.


I loved the cubes falling off. Notice how they become more and more solid as they fall.

She kept saying "This quilt is one of my favorites." Must have said that 100 times. LOL. I guess that's how we all feel about our quilts.

I love how she is not afraid to experiment with different patterns and shapes. Notice this one has an "unfinished" side. She said once she was teaching a class, and a student said "are we allowed to do that??" LOL! Thank goodness I've never had that fear. I'm not tied to rules and conformity. Not that I'm in her league, but at least I'm not afraid of breaking rules and trying new things in my quilts.


She loves the art work of M.C. Escher and tries to emulate his spirit of conveying impossible shapes. She has entered some of these in the state fair, and the judges will make comments like "where's the sashing?" Arrgghh! She has given up entering them in judged fairs.

Here's one that's not a One Block Wonder pattern. She wanted us to know she can do other types of quilts.

Once she thought to herself, "what would happen if you unzipped a quilt? Would colors and shapes fall out?" That's what this quilt shows.

This is another version of shapes and blocks falling out of a quilt.

a beautiful example of other styles she can do. This one is a quilted copy of a painting. I didn't catch the painting's name or artist.

Another thing she enjoys is buying suits at Goodwill and turning them into pillows. Funny! (Once she found a condom in the pocket of one of her purchased suit coats.)

That's the end of my photos of quilts by Maxine Rosenthal. Tomorrow I will show you photos of our dazzling quilt show!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing...they look amazing and it sounds like it was a lot of fun!