Tuesday, April 01, 2014

I Retreated and Found a New Guild!

I went on a quilting retreat this last weekend and had a blast. The retreat was with a new (to me) guild, which I promptly joined: Minnesota Contemporary Quilters. I felt right at home with them. The first thing I saw and loved was a variety of supplies with a sign: "make your own name tag." Cool! Right away we're "allowed" to be creative and unique! I loved it!

Here are some photos from the weekend. First, another Carol with her name tag. Don't you just love her already??


The quilt on the right is by the Funny Carol. The others are projects I worked on. And I also worked a bit on my Verbs Quilt.

We did an Ugly FQ challenge in which you had to create something in about ten minutes. This is mine:

Another quilt of mine, and the friends I hung out with. Yes, AJ, you ended up on my blog! :-)

First item is something I made from the pile of free fabrics at the retreat. This was a Spoonflower fabric that I thought was so pretty! And the second item is a quilt made by a woman who works at Target, and it's for another Target employee.

The rest are pictures of the creativity and beauty that was surrounding me all weekend. What an inspirational group of women! I think I'm going to really enjoy this guild and find it challenging as well. I'll try to be challenged rather than intimidated. Oh.. among these pictures there are a couple of some puffy things lined up on a banister. Those are dog/cat beds filled with scraps we created during the weekend. Aren't they beautiful?? The woman who makes these delivers them to the Humane Society. She has a big container, makes a bag, puts the bag in the container like a "liner," and just fills it up with scraps, then removes it from the container and sews it up. Great idea!

I wanted to show you my name tag, but I temporarily can't find it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great retreat and group. I look forward to the evolution of your style that it inspires.

Anonymous said...

What a fun post. Looks like you had a great time!