Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Books: Brain Injury


I am almost done reading Over My Head: A Doctor's Account of Head Injury From the Inside Looking Out by Claudia L. Osborn. It does not yet appear on my Goodreads shelf, as I technically have not finished it, but I'm close enough to give it a rating of 4 stars (out of 5).

This non-fiction book is an interesting look at a serious head injury which happens to the author, a doctor, and the tedious work and toil it takes to get herself back to a functioning level. It makes me think of people I have known who suffered head injuries, including famous people such as Gabby Giffords. A person can look or even behave as if she has recovered, but inside the brain is still a jumble. Simple, everyday tasks that we do automatically can require many complicated steps one must plan deliberately. This saga is really amazing. I am eager to get to the actual end and read the epilogue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, but I can relate to what you wrote about the struggle after a head injury, since my roof ice incident a couple years ago. Very serious stuff! So glad you posted a book about it.