Friday, August 17, 2018

Book Review:

Book: I Married You for Happiness by Lily Tuck

Nina's husband suddenly dies. The rest of her book is her memories of their courtship, marriage, birth and rearing of their daughter. The language is beautiful. It moves at a slow pace which sometimes had me wishing something more would happen, but it is thoughtful and honest about a marriage relationship. Nina seems to have struggled with self-esteem throughout the marriage, for example, and keeps looking for signs of infidelity on his part. In fact, one of them does briefly have an affair. I don't think Nina ever accepted his undying love for her; she couldn't quite believe it, I think, until he had died. The ending lines are just beautiful.


1 comment:

Tammy said...

I'm going to get this on my kindle after reading your review! Sounds really nice.