Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Book Review: The 5 Love Languages

The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman

Next week Hubby and I will celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary. So it is not a surprise that at first, while reading this book, I felt it was rather basic and that I wasn't learning anything new. We have made our marriage work and are very happy. I guess we figured out the Love Languages thing over the years. In fact, the years keep getting better. We are doing something right.

When I neared the end of the book, I realized I was learning some new ideas and ways we could improve our marriage. Even a good marriage can be improved. So I read all the way to the end, and I took the little quiz for wives that indicated which love languages are my primary and secondary. I had already correctly guessed them. I am currently waiting for my husband to take the husband quiz and to see what his languages are. We both think we know how his answers will be revealed as well. It will be fun to see if we are correct.

While this book was not a big eye-opener for us, I think it is quite a helpful approach to all kinds of relationships and has the potential of being very eye-opening for those who need the help. One can learn something new about how to get along with one's spouse, children, friends, and neighbors. It's a common sense and very helpful approach to every day but potentially traumatic relationships. (Since writing this book Chapman also wrote The Five Love Languages for Children, Love Languages for Singles, and there is a special "for men" edition as well as a military edition.)

No comments: