Friday, May 09, 2014

Friday Books -- THREE books!

She is very absorbed in her book. I like that!

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

I listened to this audio book and enjoyed myself. I read this probably 50 years ago and had forgotten it all, I thought. As I listened, it seemed vaguely familiar, and I enjoyed remembering my child self reading this book. I loved it back then, not noticing that it was written for a purpose: to teach and encourage humane treatment of animals and people. That part was a little bit heavy handed, but as a kid, I didn't notice it. It's still an enjoyable read. The reader gets a taste of life before cars, when horses were everywhere, from doing farm work to pulling cabs in London, horses were an every day part of life.

Did you know that it is an autobiography? It's called "Black Beauty, the Autobiography of a Horse," translated from the Equine by Anna Sewell. Yes, Black Beauty tells his own story, first person. I love that.

It's worth a read every fifty years or so!

-------
After the Funeral by Agatha Christie

This is the book I handed out free on World Book Night. I decided I should read it, since I gave it away. Well.. there is a reason I was disappointed when I was assigned this book. I've never been a huge fan of Agatha Christie books, and this one did not change my mind. Kind of boring. I kept reading just to finish it and to find out "whodunit." I hope the class to whom I gave this book likes it, but I predict they won't. Bummer.

-------

Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn

Would you believe this is the 4th time I have read this book within just a few years? I love this book so much, and when I'm in a group looking for suggestions, I often suggest this one. Such is the case with a new book group we have at church. We will be discussing this on Sunday, May 11. I hope the others in the group find this book as astonishing and stunning as I have. Each time I read it I learn... it is FULL of wisdom and such a great description of what happened here when Europeans arrived and found the Indians already here. Very fascinating look at our history. I wish every American would read this book.



No comments: