Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday Books: A Caribbean Review

Hi!! I have been on a fabulous Caribbean Cruise this week! I'm writing this report from the ship. I finished, aboard ship, a book called A Tale for the Time Being. I'm sorry I can't recall the author's name, and my Kindle is several decks above me right now in my "steerage" cabin (bare minimum but plenty good). It was an interesting story: a woman in Washington state finds a diary washed up on the beach. It was written by a girl in Japan and presumably washed out to sea by the tsunami. The story takes you back and forth from the writer in Japan to the finder/reader in Washington. I love the premise.

There are times when the story turns a little weird, but overall I enjoyed it. The characters are rather fascinating; I liked the writing style, and I seem to be an easy sell for books that center on diaries. The family in Japan goes through many different stages of self-discovery and of each other as well. I liked this book but did not love it. Still, I'm glad I read it.

I'm paying for my internet time by the minute, so that's all I'll say for now. While Minnesota freezes in below-zero awfulness, I am having fun in the sun and sand. Apologies to my wonderful husband who is holding down the very cold fort. Lucky, lucky me. Pictures will follow some time next week.

Stay warm, everyone!

Later: author of A Tale for the Time Being is Ruth Ozeki.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The author is doing a reading at Powell's next week; trouble is there is also a history pub that sounds interesting at the same time. Book does sound like it needs to go on my to read list.