Friday, June 08, 2012

Friday Books: Two Books!



Dispatches From the Edge by Anderson Cooper

An interesting and quick read about Cooper’s experiences as he covers wars and natural disasters in the first years of his broadcast career. Interspersed are stories of his family and his explanations for how he feels about news coverage in danger zones and why it works for him. The last part of the book is about his experiences covering post-Katrina Mississippi and New Orleans. His feelings about disasters and the world’s response changed after Katrina. This book took us through his evolution of examining his own life and his career. I like and respect Anderson Cooper, so I found this book to be very interesting and a good read. 4 stars.


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

This book was a page-turner! Alice has a head injury and wakes up thinking it is ten years earlier. She has no memory of the last ten years of her life. I loved it.... until the end. I was so disappointed! Alice didn't seem to do what I thought Alice would have done... plus she didn't walk us through her thought process which she had done all throughout the book. I was bummed with the ending, but still enjoyed the bulk of the book, and thought about the characters afterwards, which is a sign of good writing, I think. I give the book 3.5 stars. With a better ending I would have given it 4 or even 5 stars. I'm curious if any of you have read What Alice Forgot, and if you agree with my assessment or not.

No comments: