Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Books: ARC



Last weekend when I went to visit my mom, she had recently finished reading an Advance Reader Copy of The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere. Mom said it was good, so I picked it up and started reading. By the time I left town the next day, I was about 2/3 done with the book, but had to bring it home to finish it. I finished it quickly and give it about 3.5 stars out of 5.

A single woman in 1950 ("an old maid") meets a small boy who has been terribly neglected and abused. She takes him in, and the town has a variety of reactions. There's a small mystery about where he came from. The woman and the boy and the town all go through some adventures. It was a quick, easy read, and I enjoyed the book except for a few details that didn't seem correctly "1950-ish." For example, there's an interstate? Nah, I'm quite sure they wouldn't have had one yet in 1950. Sometimes the tone and the interactions seem more appropriately 2000's than 1950's to me, but one can overlook that and enjoy a well-told story.

This book will be published in July, 2012.

P.S. Last week I talked about being bored by Dangerous Ambition. After attempting to read it for nearly a month, I gave myself permission to give up on it. Not my cup of tea.

No comments: