Monday, April 05, 2010

Fears/Worries/Kindnesses

photo is from orkutluv(dot)com

I'm susceptible to worry when it comes to friendships. For example.. if I don't get any comments at Facebook in several days, I start to wonder if I still have any friends.

I know it's silly. I learned recently from the book Fearless by Max Lucado that one of my inner fears is being abandoned (friendless). I'm working on reducing my fear. I'm currently reading Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris, and it is excellent. It is addressing some of my insecurities. I can't wait 'til we get to discuss it at book group tomorrow.

Meanwhile my friend, Beth, at Walk a Mile has asked people to help celebrate her upcoming 50th birthday by performing Random Acts of Kindness. I love that idea and have asked my co-workers to do the same in honor of my retirement. And I plan to do some kindnesses in honor of Beth's 50th.

Maybe performing some Acts of Kindness will help reduce my silly fears and worries.

6 comments:

woolywoman said...

I think of fears, particularly ones that are "silly" as a sort of traffic sign/ When I start to get afraid, it is a "rough road ahead" sign. I don't think it means that I should not do things that scare me, I just think it means that here i somewhere that will not be smooth, and only by getting more used to it can I make it smoother.

Quilting Journey said...

A common fear, but often huge in most of us. I have a friend who was literally abandoned as a child...something so deep it altered who she became in all ways. I've tried to practice that which I am afraid of for myself. So, if I am not given to, I give even more to others. To have a friend..be one etc. I make a point of visiting a dozen blogs a day just to leave comments...comment drops ;) and another dozen to learn from. It's been very rewarding. And when I don't get any in return, it just reminds me its about them...and not me.

Twisted Quilts said...

I always love your book suggestions, thank. I have some of the same fears. When I retired in 2007 I was hoping to maintain some of the friendships I had at work and with one exception that hasn't happened. I had some close friends that I had known for years but when my daughter broke up with one of their sons I lost them too. I have turned to my family. I am rediscovering friendships with some of my cousins. Life is a constant learning experience.

AnnieO said...

Its funny how fear of abandonment is so subjective and yet so universal! I guess it is part of what makes us humankind. Good that you are aiming at reducing your fear and taking action that will make yourself and others feel good!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

The Random Acts idea is so great! I just read about it on Beth's blog. What a wonderful idea.

Happy weekend.

Louise said...

I love the Random Acts idea, but personally I try to do that whenever He gives me the opportunity. I find that if I am open to it, the opportunities abound! Louise