Saturday, April 24, 2010

Back From the Dumps (Because of Chocolate?)



Thank you for being nice when I'm feeling down, dear readers. I'm better again. Sometimes I think I should not even write a post when I feel down. But that is a normal part of the Ups and Downs of Life, so I go ahead, and you always respond gently. Thank you!

This is a picture of the 5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake I made recently. I found the recipe here on the net, on someone's blog (unfortunatley, I can't remember whose). It really did take only about 5 minutes, start to finish!

Here's my review: I give it a B-. It was good, but something about it was lacking in sweet yumminess. I think next time I would use a little more than just a small splash of vanilla. I might even throw in a tiny pinch of salt. And, here's the important part, I would serve it with ice cream. Just about anything is yummy with ice cream.

I'll definitely try it again when I know I can serve it the proper way. In case you'd like to try, here's the recipe:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
4 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract (don't skimp)
1 large coffee mug (microwave-safe)
Try a tiny dash of salt?? (an un-tried addition to the recipe)

Put dry ingredients into mug. Stir, combine well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil. Mix well.
Add choc. chips (if using) and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Put mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. (I did 4 min at a lower wattage, and it was perfect.)
The cake will rise over the top of the mug. Don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little. Tip onto a plate if desired.
Eat! (It can serve 2 if you feel generous.)

Hint: Serve with ice cream for optimum enjoyment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live cake-in-a-mug! You're recipe is nearly the same as mine. Sometimes I add a little coffee powder for a mocha flavor, or I shove a chocolate covered cherry into the middle of the batter before I bake it. Secret yum when you dig into the mug! Glad to read that you're feeling better.

Unknown said...

Yup ... I could see where this was going to go the day you posted it, so I tried my best to ignore it ...

However, I can't let a good chocolate recipe go untried and I already have a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup devoted to "[something]-in-a-mug" recipes. (If you're not familiar with the Hungry Girl blog, you gotta go check it out!)

So ... followed your recipe, but added 1 tsp of Postem granules (didn't have decaf instant coffee, or I would have used that instead), 1 tsp cinnamon, and used chopped up dark Hershey bars (left over from last Halloween, I think ... maybe it was the year before ... oh, boy) instead of the chocolate chips.

It was pretty good, although I totally agree that ice cream would make it better, and I think I cooked it a bit long.

Anyway ... gotta whole 'nother raft of ideas for variations ... chopped peppermint patties, nuts, how about mixing in a single-serving carton of pudding? Fun, fun!

Thanks, Carol!

JodyO