Friday, November 09, 2012

Friday Books: Orphan Train and Glaciers


I read an Advanced Readers Copy of Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It will be published in April 2013. This is an excellent book!

The two main characters are a 91-year-old woman (same age as my mother)and a troubled teen girl (similar to the students I used to work with, while they tugged at my heart.) I instantly felt an affinity for the characters; loved them from the start, and they did not disappoint.

The story line captivates. The characters experience present-day turmoil as well as re-living past traumas, and work to sort it all out. Great character development; realistic scenarios and variety of reactions/interactions. I could not put this book down. I loved this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars!

Later:
I finished another book, so I'm adding it to today's post: Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith. This is a small, sweet book. The language is very beautiful. It has a poetic flow to it and yet is not complicated. the main character goes through her day, remembering her youth in Alaska and pondering the people and events that occur around her (in adulthood she lives in Oregon). She develops a crush, she goes to a party. No monumental events (well, maybe some are monumental - but not shockingly so), yet it's a thoughtful and poetic, beautiful book. 5 of 5 stars.

No comments: