Thursday, July 01, 2021

Book Review: Missoula

 Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer

Krakauer researches the responses made to rape and sexual assault reports in college towns, specifically in Missoula, Montana. These responses come from campus police, city police, county prosecutors, and college officials. I was hoping things were getting better. Read this book and see if women still suffer ostracism, bullying, and slut-shaming if they dare to report a rape. You can pretty much guess what the answer to that query is.

Some cases where I live (a Minnesota college town) were big news for some of the same reasons they were in Missoula... and the outcomes were the same. I should have been able to predict the trajectory of this book.

Hard to read due to the details of the events, but important to know what is (still) going on. This is a scourge in our culture. We need to raise our awareness of the true nature of what rape is, and to raise our children to not be rapists. We obviously have not yet figured it out.



The photo shows my resolve to get back into regular reading.
My reading funk has not let up.
I have barely read much at all during the last year and a half
of COVID lock-downs.
I keep hoping I will emerge from the funk.
Cross your fingers for me.


1 comment:

BrendaLou said...

I'm hoping you get your reading mojo soon. I know that in the past you have gained so much enjoyment from books. Perhaps a few light and fluffy or fun reads will help you get back into the groove. Love you, my friend.