Saturday, March 02, 2019

Book Review: Girl at War

Beautifully written, compelling story about a young girl who is about 10 years old when the wars break out in the former Yugoslavia. Ana continues her life; being innocent and somewhat sheltered from the details of the war, she continues going to school and doesn't realize the magnitude of what is happening until it hits very close to home.

Later, as a young adult, she needs to process her memories and trauma to get on with adulthood. This whole process is quite touching and dramatic. The story is excellently told by an author who has Croatian ancestry and did plenty of research to get her facts straight. While it is not autobiographical, it is a piece of fiction that accurately describes the events that took place during those difficult years. I highly recommend this fine, thought-provoking book.


Everyone's reading! Are you?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I might have to read this one. My husband's ancestors immigrated from what is now Kovacica, Serbia. I've done genealogy on my husband's family and records showed that area as previously Antalfalva in Austria Hungary, then in Hungary, then in Yugoslavia then in Serbia and Montenegro and finally Serbia. According to ship records Croatian was one of the languages spoken by my husband's grandparents. I like reading books that are located in areas where we had family members.