Saturday, December 19, 2015

Christmas is Coming!

Last night our daughter invited us to her house for Christmas Eve.. I was thrilled, because I thought we were hosting, and hosting gives me big stress moments. Now I get to have a stress-free Christmas! Hooray! We'll be attending another celebration on Christmas Day, so I'm not hosting that, either.

I realized recently that I haven't been very chatty here at my blog lately. I can't even remember what I would normally have chatted with you about! I have been making a couple of Christmas gifts, so I can't show them to you yet. I have had some fun times sewing with friends, keeping myself busy and out of trouble with tasks at church, reading, helping out a friend in need, and occasionally working.

Why haven't you been chatting with us, Carol?? We've missed you!

We have no snow on the ground, and it has been unseasonably warm here in Minnesota. I actually envy the people who have received some beautiful Christmas snow, but... must admit that life is much easier without it! I could get used to this winter ease. I'm still wearing my fall jacket that is not quite tough enough for the super cold temperatures, and is lightweight enough to feel comfy and no big bulk while sitting in the car. I have only had to wear boots one day. I have not shoveled one flake of snow. Driving has been a breeze. Is this why people become snow birds?? I may have to give that some thought.


I have been thinking a lot about people who are in need. How easy it is for us who are blessed to forget what life is like for them. This year I bought a gift card as a Christmas gift, and the clerk who sold it to me was awed at the amount I put on the card. She got all dreamy about what she could do if anyone gave her a gift card holding that amount. I almost feel like getting another one and delivering it to her anonymously.

And another person, the friend in need I mentioned above, is pregnant and homeless. I have been helping her find housing, and trying to help her get re-connected with services that can help her. Believe me, that is not easy. All the rules and the ins and outs can be so confusing. A person needs an advocate to wade through all that stuff. I'm feeling extra empathetic for all the homeless people out there who have no one really watching out for them. How lonely and hopeless that must feel.

So in this happy Christmas season, let's all vow to be aware of those around us and remember to share our bounty. Even a small gift can make a big difference: a cup of hot chocolate for the bell-ringer, a bus card for someone who has a hard time getting around on low income, a ride to a doctor appointment, a gift of your time and friendship if you don't have money to share.


Merry Christmas to all!

3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous post - Merry Christmas!!

rondiquilts said...

There is much joy in being the giver! Thanks for the reminder. ~ Merry Christmas!
Rondi

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas.