Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Books: Mr. Penumbra

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan: This book is of a type that I rarely read. I suggested it for a book club, so I had to read it. The story includes wizardry (sort of), code-breaking, computer geeks, technology, and trying to solve hundred-year-old mysteries. This is a book type that I usually avoid.

I was a little curious to see how the story would unfold, but I kept feeling uninterested, and I was impatient for the story to end. I didn't feel any sort of rapport with any of the characters. The only redeeming part was that it revolves around books and a bookstore, two things that I love.

Not my cup of tea; I can't recommend this book. Use your time to read something that is engaging and stirring and makes you think. This book did none of that for me.

a bookstore in Czech Republic



No comments: