Monday, September 15, 2014

Thanks - Great Thoughts From You

First, thanks for your kindnesses regarding my aging family.

Second, thanks for your advice regarding my quilt top question.

I have smart readers of my blog! You rock. I was inclined to leave that "mistake" in my quilt top, and you all confirmed that idea for me. Yay! It's no longer called a mistake. It's called a design decision.

Thought I'd show you a photo of my favorite aunt and uncle. They now live in the same care center, although on different floors. Now they can visit each other every day.

They are both very intelligent. My aunt is especially fond of words and of language. She is eloquent and wise. She is an author and a wordsmith. So it was especially cruel and ironic that her ALS began in her mouth and throat. Her speech began to be impaired. Soon she could no longer speak. Then she could no longer eat. Now she is permanently on oxygen. Her mind, as it goes with ALS, is still sharp as a tack. I feel so sad for the attack of this disease on such a wise, intelligent, lover of language.

My uncle, also very intelligent, is such a gentle, funny, and caring man. He has dementia and now rarely initiates conversation.

Please pray for families who are suffering through awful diseases, especially ALS.




3 comments:

Ann X said...

well, before all that bucket madness started, I never heard about ALS. But... When you look around, there are so many different and still incurable killers, it's really hard to believe.

In my family... My youngest son has spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) and my youngest daughter now waiting for Multiple sclerosis to be diagnosed. Both incurable as well...

Ann X said...

PS. By the way, I sent you an e-mail few days ago regarding books and reading, did you get it?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending hugs to all . . .