Monday, June 28, 2010

An L Book

an exhibit at the museum in Pierre, South Dakota

I read another great book. This one is The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living by Joseph M. Marshall III.

As the title says, it is stories and lessons.. and it is full of wisdom, compassion, humility, and generosity. The author tells stories from the past and uses important cultural attributes that exemplify the strength of his Lakota culture. He applies it to modern times and shows ways these lessons of old are still relevant.

I as a white western-style thinker need those modern examples to make it more understandable. I wish my brain would work in the way that could use stories such as fables to learn life's lessons... it's hard for me to think that way, so I really appreciate this book which makes the ethical lessons clear.

I highly recommend this gentle and uplifting book!

1 comment:

AnnieO said...

That is an intriguing twist to a book of old wisdoms. Thanks for the review!