Thursday, January 03, 2013

I Joined a Second Group

I now have two new projects in 2013. These will keep me out of trouble and off the streets. This is a good thing! The first is the Doll Quilt monthly swap (see button in my sidebar) which I already mentioned a post or two ago. We have a theme every month, we are assigned a partner every month, and the two partners swap doll quilts. Cool! I already have my January top made for my partner. The theme is Snow -- something my partner and I both understand. She lives in Alaska, I live in Minnesota. All I have to do is quilt and bind my top and get it mailed to her by the end of the month. She is doing the same for me. This is a fun, new thing for me to be doing. I haven't done a swap in a long time, and I don't think I have ever done a year-long swap. I hope I like a whole year of it.

The second group is 2013 Lovely Year of Finishes (see button in my sidebar). Each month we set a specific goal of something we want to finish that month. This is what I want to finish this January:


It is a quilt top made of blue scraps (also mentioned a post or two ago); I used the "dump and sew" method. I didn't really "dump," though. I just pulled out my blue scrap bin and started sewing. I like this method. It grows and morphs into its own thing, usually not at all what I envisioned for it. The picture shows the top, sitting on my table waiting for some attention. I plan to get this quilted and bound this month. It'll be a challenge, because I rarely quilt something this large on my own little machine. Wish me luck!

At the end of the year, I will have 12 projects done for the Lovely Year of Finishes! Not to mention the 12 doll quilts for the monthly swap... I can envision needing to overlap these projects, but hope not to do that very often. That will depend on how crazy 2013 becomes. I am hoping for a year lacking in craziness.

4 comments:

Sextant said...

Well Carol I am glad you have found direction in your life. I was beginning to worry about you. Your propensity for hanging out in the streets with shady characters was becoming somewhat scandalous. Remember an idle mind is the devil's workshop.

Myself? I take long naps interrupted by paragraphs. People see me sitting in the chair with the Kindle in my lap and think, "oh he has become so well read in his retirement."

If I was to hang out in the streets I may aimlessly wander off.

Seriously, while quilting is not exactly my thing, I sense your excitement in this post. You Go Girl!

Perhaps I should grab my kindle now before I make a bigger ass of myself.

Anonymous said...

Where on earth do you get the time? You amaze me.

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for the info about the year of finishes group...
I am going to sign up!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan to me! I like what your pile of blue scraps has grown into. =)