Friday, May 04, 2012

Friday Books: The Hunger Games

I mentioned The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in my post on Wed., May 2. I enjoyed the book more than I expected to, but there are a couple of things that are causing me to give it 3 stars instead of 4. This may include some spoilers, so if you haven't read the book and want to, you better stop reading my post right now.

I didn't think it was realistic, given the nature of the Hunger Games, that the Capitol would announce that a pair from one district could win. Then to change their minds, only to change back again was even more ludicrous. I didn't believe that Katniss and Peeta had that much power over the Capitol, to cause them to change the nature of the games so seemingly flippantly. I didn't believe that Katniss would go ahead with that berry thing at the end of the games, and the ending kind of dragged out and left me feeling impatient for it to end.

[I like to pretend I'm this pretty. hahahahaha!]

Something interesting just happened. While doing a Google search for an image of Katniss, I ran across a webpage that gave a short description of who Katniss is, including how the entire trilogy unfolds and ends. Harumph. Actually I had predicted what they said, but I had wanted to read the books and learn what happens for myself. Dang, I stumbled into a spoiler that I didn't want to read.

Now I'm finished with The Hunger Games and can choose another wonderful book to read. I love this point, when I get to look over all my four zillion books and ponder which one to read next. They all seem so great, it can be VERY hard to choose. It's a fun guessing game, and I usually "win" with another great reading experience.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think what people miss on this is that it is teen material...I think the stories were well told and movie was excellent...

Sextant said...

My wife read it and said it was quite good. I skipped it even though it was our book club main selection. I find dystopian books too depressing, and it was a series. One dystopian book will depress me, three may drive me nuts.

Carol E. said...

Beth, I think it's well known as a teen lit book. That doesn't mean the writing can get away with flaws. I've read some kid and teen lit that is fabulously written. I was just pointing out where this one got under my saddle and caused an uncomfortable itch and caused me to give it 3 stars instead of 4.