I haven't been very chatty lately. Maybe you are happy that I haven't bored you with my everyday, goofy thoughts! Today I am going to bore you a little. Here are my thoughts:
1. Retirement is fun, but I am still figuring out how my time should be divided. I totally love having so much time in which I am free to decide what to do, where to go, and when. I am gradually getting a few subbing jobs at the school. I have done only two so far, both not in regular school buildings. I love having substitute work as an option, and this includes the option to say "no." LOVE it! I also want to take on some volunteer work. I have two possibilities in mind, and this is where my time division comes into play. One of the possibilities will be more time-consuming. So I need to figure out how much time I can give away, and how much I'm willing to do. A friend told me it takes a while to figure this all out when one is a new retiree. She is right! I am jealously guarding my time, so I don't know if I want to take on the longer-hours volunteer position or not. (It appeals to me a little more than the other, except for the time commitment.)
2. Reading.. I'm still reading books as much as I can! Recently I finished Driftless by David Rhodes. We read it for our cousins' annual book-club gathering which is coming up soon. We read one book per year. I think that is funny and cool -- an easy-to-accomplish book club assignment! Anyway, Driftless was a very good book; one that I could read again and still get a lot out of it. In fact, my mother has now read it three times, and my sister and aunt read it twice! I still have letters J and Y to finish for my A-Z challenge, but I have been ignoring them, because I started a J book and a Y book, both of which were boring, so I moved on to more interesting books. I am currently reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I think I don't love it as much as other people; it's quite popular right now. It's interesting, but I'm not glued to it as some people say they were.
3. Politics.. I'm opininated and I know sometimes I offend readers who may disagree. I'm passionate about what I believe, so that's where my strong opinions come from, I guess. (And it's my blog, so I get to write about whatever I want, but I do feel squirmy when I offend my readers.) I feel like my politics is wrapped up with my beliefs that we need to help each other and be more of a collective team than we currently are. Sometimes I get very overwhelmed and discouraged about where our world is headed. Today I am feeling optimistic again. I love it when I feel more hopeful.
4. Quilting.. still concentrating on this during most of my daytime hours. I finished a quilt top (below) and quilted and bound this orange baby (above). I finally found some boxes that worked and got some quilts sent off to where they belong. I still have a large pile of projects to complete. It keeps me out of trouble!
5. Entertainment... I get to go to a Twins game and see the new stadium for the first time. I'm excited!