Friday, May 15, 2015

Friday Books: I'm in Australia!

Surprise! I'm writing this from Australia. What a wonderful country. Husband and I are having a great time. While IN Australia I finished reading a fabulous book about Australia's early days of white settlement. That rocked my world. Here's the review:

The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville... I have become a huge Kate Grenville fan. This is the second book of hers that I have read, and I have loved them both. Grenville is a beautiful writer. She tells stories with the nuances and ebb and flow of human interactions. Friendships develop, people grow and change. None of it is forced or too quick or far-fetched. It's all lovely and touching. This story takes place in the early days of white settlers arriving in Australia. One British soldier becomes interested in the language of the indigenous people in his region. They strike up friendships and help each other learn. It is a beautiful tribute to language itself and how intricately language is tied to culture. I was blown away. This, like her other book, The Secret River, is heavily based on a true incident which she carefully researched. A wonderful book. The best part is, I finished this book while traveling in Australia! It couldn't have been a more perfect experience.

And another review -- of a book I finished just before coming here:

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - This is a popular book; most people love it. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. The story takes place in Australia. It's about a man who has autism but doesn't know he has it. He decides to put his scientific knowledge and methodical logic into the pursuit of finding a wife. You can guess how successful he is with this approach. It's humorous and interesting. Part of me was impatient with him for not knowing himself well enough. On the other hand, I often wonder how well I know myself. Are there things about me of which I am completely oblivious? Things that other people find annoying or things that hinder my own ability to function? It makes a person wonder...


2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Interesting reads - so glad you're having a grand time in Oz!

Betty said...

I have also been in Australia and love Kate Grenville's writing! "The Secret River " is my favourite! Enjoy Australia!