Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Books: Two Greats!



I read two great books this week:

Some Assembly Required, A Journal of My Son's First Son by Anne Lamott with Sam Lamott.
Annabel by Kathleen Winter.

Some Assembly Required -- this is Lamott's most recent book. She and her son, Sam, wrote it together, documenting the first year in the life of Sam's son, Anne's grandson. It is funny and touching, and I laughed out loud. I sure can relate with her worries and concerns about adult kids and wanting to be involved but knowing you need to stay out of it. While I loved this book, it is not as great as the two others I have read on spirituality -- Traveling Mercies and Grace (Eventually).

Annabel -- I loved this book! It is beautifully written. The language sings. Absolutely wonderful. Characters are full, lovable, fabulously flawed human beings. One of the best I've read in a long time.

I chose this book because it was mentioned by Anne Lamott as one of her favorites. I can totally see why -- the mother character is a spiritually beautiful woman who is ready to accept people as they are and love them from the inside out. She reminds me of Anne Lamott herself, except that the mother in this book is more "settled" than bouncy, crazy Ms. Lamott. The writing style reminds me of Anne Lamott's style also.

Definitely a 5-star winner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took the "What are you reading" as a direct question to ME! (because I can.) I'm catching up on Alexander Mcall Smith. I got sadly behind while knitting Super Scarves. And now I am spending my evenings with Mma Ramotswe et al. Thanks for asking! ;-)