Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Book Review: A.J. Fikry

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I carried this book around for a long time, in my car, waiting for an opportune moment to put it at the top of my queue. The time finally came, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. This is a very well-done and FUN book. It's about a man who owns a bookstore, and his life and times over a number of years. When the book opens, he is a recent widower and having a hard time finding happiness again. More events take place, and lives of the people around and of A.J. Fikry himself go through metamorphoses.

The characters are living authentic lives, that is, they experience the joys and sorrows that life regularly brings. But through it all there is an atmosphere of optimism, and the book just made me happy. Of course, there are numerous references to other books, titles that are meaningful to various people in the story, and how the bookstore itself fares is part of the story as well.

I think anyone would enjoy this nice, pleasant book, especially if one is a lover of books and words and life's stories.

Don't leave this book sitting in your car for too long. Pick it up and read it!

oops.. I should have combed my hair before posing





3 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your experience reading this book. I’ve requested the book club kit from my library so my group can read it this fall. ��

Carol E. said...

I hope you all enjoy it!

Leanne said...

Borrowed it. Read it. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation!