Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Knitting Giraffe

My sewing machine is still in the shop and is going to need a new part, and I have no idea how much time for the fix... I miss it! I borrowed my mother's machine but it can't handle the machine quilting I was in the middle of when the sewing disaster happened.

So, I bet you didn't know a giraffe could knit, did you?? Well, I can! And I have been using my time to try to finish up some knitting projects.

This is a hat that should fit a 9-10 year old. That is why it doesn't fit the doll head. If it had fit the doll, I would have been very discouraged with my poor knitting abilities.


This is a scarf I started ages ago with some leftover yarn. Unfortunately, I didn't really have enough yarn to make a very long scarf. I am hoping some small person will get this scarf and find it to be just the right length.

This is a baby blanket. It is made of wool. I was hoping to send it to Afghans for Afghans, but I don't think it will meet the size criteria they gave us. I started it before I knew the size restrictions. I'm a slow knitter, though. Maybe by the time I finally finish this thing, they'll be asking for smaller blankets. I hope so. Most people around here would not jump at the chance at a wool baby blanket, but for the Afghans project, that is what they want.

I really want to learn how to knit mittens and socks! One of these days, I'll find a way to learn those skills. Meanwhile, I can putz along on my current projects and hope that my sewing machine comes home soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your sewing machine part isn't expensive!!! I'm luvin' the knitting part, though. Great photo of the doll and the hat!! It made me smile.

Nancy said...

Depending on the "give" of the yarn, you can always block the blanket to a larger size. It might be worth a try to meet the requirements.

Unknown said...

The knitting pictures are GREAT! I really miss having time to do any kind of handcraft (and having hands that will put up with the repetitive motions involved!) Your work is lovely.