Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Book Review: Emily, Alone

Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan

This is #2 in a series. I did not read any of the others. Based on this one, I would not go out of my way to read the others. This one was boring.

It's the story of a widow, Emily, and her life alone, missing her husband, and going about her daily routines. She is getting on in years and mostly thinks a lot about her life, her late husband, her children, her future which will probably be short. Some of it, as a senior citizen, I could relate to. I do contemplate some of the same things Emily does. However, the chapters felt like lists to me.. old people think about these things. Old people do these things. Old people spend a lot of time alone. Old people wonder about x, y and z. Ho Hum.

I didn't mind that basically nothing happens. I don't demand fast action plots. I have read quiet books which I have loved. In this book I would have enjoyed more depth. Spend your time wisely by reading something else.


No comments: