Monday, April 18, 2011

Memories

April A-Z Challenge: M is for Memories



Yesterday I went to a funeral of a former student. She died of a progressive disease and was only 23 years old. She was a wonderful person, so warm and friendly, smart, eager to work hard and be helpful. She and her mom had a very special bond. Even when my student lost her hearing and most of her vision, she could still communicate with her mom in amazing ways.

Seeing her mother brought back a lot of memories. I spent a lot of time with the family at doctor appointments, at the hospital, at meetings everywhere (school, clinics, and in their home). I was usually in my role as an interpreter. But sometimes I got to chat with her mom, and we talked about "mom stuff" ... watching our kids grow, and the hard job it is for moms when the children suffer. She had to really change her dreams and plans when her daughter, my student, started getting sick.

I have never had to deal with anything so difficult. Her mom was always so friendly and happy to see us... she made it even more fun to work with her daughter.

I have accrued some very special memories through my past work. Those memories have helped make me who I am today.

In honor of my student and her mom, I will try to be especially nice to others today and help make some good memories that will ripple through our community, making it a nicer place to be.

1 comment:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Nice. What a loving tribute to her ....making memories that will ripple through the community.