Sunday, February 06, 2011

30 Days of Photos: 7

a picture of my most treasured item... I had to think about this one. I have five favorite things: my bed, my camera, my sewing machine, quilts, and books. I decided to photograph my bed for a couple of reasons:
1) it includes a quilt and a pile of books so it means I sort of didn't have to narrow it down to just one thing (cheating?)
2) getting a good night's sleep in this wonderful bed gives me the energy to enjoy and utilize my other favorites.
3) this bed was such a treat when we got it five years ago. We'd been married for 30 years, and had the same bed all those years. It was a full size bed, nice when we got it, but way past its prime. When we got this new bed for our anniversary gift to ourselves, we kind of splurged and got a really nice one. And it is a queen, which felt SO luxurious after sleeping for 30 years in a full size double. I still crawl into bed and smile and croon about how much I love the bed! It's the best bed I've ever slept in.



As for the magic of sleeping under quilts: I'm doing what I can to make sure more children get that comfort. Here is what I finished in the last couple of days:

a quilt for Wrap Them in Love; the black fabric came from Bev B's stash

a panel quilt that I enlarged slightly; not sure yet where it will go

a flimsy made from scraps, mostly from my sister's scrap bag; also not sure where it will go once it gets quilted

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We will be changing our bed for the second time in two years. I don't know what it is, but we've had two defective beds. The bed company is replacing the recent one without question..It's a king, so it's also heavy.
Love the quilts Carole...always lovely work. I must start sewing again.

Mama Drama Times Two said...

I have been enjoying this photo challenge you are doing and had to laugh about your favorite thing. I also don't think I could settle on just one thing and would also include among my favorites my books, bed and quilts! I like how the blocks are off-set on your bed quilt. An uncoventional twist.