Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Book Review: Hausfrau Honeymoon

Hausfrau Honeymoon: Love, Language, and Other Misadventures in Germany by Beth M. Howard

I have been a fan of Beth Howard for a while.. I loved her book "Making Piece" and love her pie cookbook which is interspersed with some really great essays. So I wanted to love this book, too, but I just didn't.

Honestly, I felt that her husband was working harder at the marriage than she was. It's impossible to judge another couple's marriage, so I hate to say that. Reading this book, though, felt like getting an inside look at what appeared to be her spoiled, whining attitude. She was brave to write it so honestly. But it didn't endear me to her. Perhaps they should have given this marriage a lot more thought before taking the plunge. Obviously, lust was not enough to sustain a marriage. And with the added challenge of cultural differences, they perhaps had too many blows against them from the start.

This book is the prequel to "Making Piece" so I know the outcome, which is not happily ever after as she implies. I recommend "Making Piece" much more highly.


Just a picture that I loved..I'm sorry Ms. Howard did not get to attain a similar long-term happiness with her German sweetheart

No comments: