Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Book Review: Cupboard Full of Coats

A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvvette Edwards is an unhappy story, mostly about a mother-daughter relationship, but also other relationships in their small circle of friends, all of which are abusive or very distressed. Despite its sad theme, I enjoyed reading this book because of the good writing. It's told through the daughter's eyes, switching between her current age of 30 and her younger age of 14. This transition between time periods is done well, and I was interested in reading further to watch the story unfold.

I give it four of five stars for the good writing, even though I felt ambivalent about how unhappy it was, and the fact that there were no "heroes" in all those mixed up relationships. I kept hoping someone would see the light.

No comments: