Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday Books: The Mare

Just barely getting this in on Friday! There is one hour left of the day. I read The Mare by Mary Gaitskill. A girl from NYC goes to upstate NY on a two-week visiting program, staying with a family and being exposed to country life. Next door to her family is a horse stable. She falls in love with a damaged horse, with whom she seems to have a special bond. She continues to visit her family, building relationships with the parents, the horses, the trainers. Questions arise about who is helping whom, what are the appropriate boundaries, is the relationship healthy or self-serving, what is the true nature of love and of family.

The writing is excellent, and I couldn't put the book down at first. It sags a bit in the middle, picks up again in the end. If anyone else reads this book, please share with me what you think of the ending. I'm not sure... the ending feels either like a wimpy ending or a satisfying one. I'm not sure!

I give this book 4 stars out of 5.

(By the way, some people see my sidebar just fine, others can't see it. If you can't see it, try scrolling down to the bottom of my posts, and you may see it there. Hopefully I will learn how to fix that some day.)

No comments: