Monday, December 09, 2013

I Feel Like Secret Santa

This is the story of collecting gifts for families in need. I am the coordinator (at church) of the donations to Food Shelf and other items that our local service agency requests for families. Lately it has been so much fun to be "in charge." I get to see all the goodness flowing from our church to people who need help.

The little tree contains gift requests ... red tags are for the family that we "adopt" and white tags are general gifts for families who do not get adopted; the agency we work through tries to fulfill their wishes and needs as much as possible. Only about half the families who apply to be adopted actually get adopted. There are not enough volunteers to serve all the needs.

the gifts assembled at the altar for a special blessing before they depart

We put them into my car; I felt like I was driving Santa's sleigh

Here they all are in my living room. I had to sort and assemble into groups for two different programs.

I was really impressed with the wonderful and generous gifts that people at my church provided.. lots of toys ranging from stuffed animals to craft and science kits to jewelry items for teens, electronic stuff, remote control cars, AND 23 sets of pajamas! Twenty-three kids will get to be warm and snuggly in bed because of all those pajamas.

Husband and I packed it all back into Santa's sleigh...

...and delivered it all to the agency today. The three boxes contain lots of wrapped gifts for the family we adopted -- three kids and two parents. Without our help, they would not have been able to afford gifts for their kids. Now their tree is going to be full and happy, and the kids will get what they want and need. Parents get a couple gifts, too, along with a grocery store gift card to provide a happy Christmas dinner.

I LOVE BEING INVOLVED IN THIS! It is so much fun. We don't know who we are helping, and we won't see their shining faces on Christmas morning, but we have shown them some love from strangers, and I feel blessed to be a part of it.

3 comments:

Megs said...

LOVE this!!! Thanks for all the work you're doing for us!

BrendaLou said...

Much as I love my own Christmas celebration, my favorite thing to do at Christmas is to gather up my hubby and any other family around and go shopping one night at the mall. We each choose a name off the Salvation Army tree (or a few names each!) and go shopping. So much fun!

Anonymous said...

This post made me all teary. Thank you for all you do, Carol. You are truly amazing.