Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quilts and Books

Below you will find a very short video of the falling snow we enjoyed on Saturday during the retreat. I was in the lunch hall, so there is a lot of noise and chatter going on... but the visual is pretty so I thought I'd share.

I also posted some pictures (other than just the beds) from our quilt retreat at the guild blog. If you want to see, here is the link.

http://dcsq.blogspot.com/

As for books, I have failed to post any book reports for a while. I will try to remember what I have read in recent weeks.

Let's see...

1. An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor (Kindle edition). I thought for sure I had mentioned this, but it's not on my reading challenge list. We read it in our book group at church; our consensus was that it was a good book, but difficult to discuss.

2. How We are Hungry by Dave Eggers (Kindle edition). I read his book, Zeitoun, last summer and loved it! I was excited to read another one by Eggers, but this one was not as great. To be honest, I can't even remember much about it.

3. Little Bee by Chris Cleave (Kindle edition). A lot of people are reading this book these days. Some love it and find it a can't-put-down book. I didn't find that to be true for me. It was an interesting story, and I'm glad I read it, but I don't consider it one of the greats that I strongly recommend. I wanted it to be a fave, but it wasn't.

4. The Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore (hard cover). We read this in my book group. I really enjoyed it. It's about a wealthy, white couple who begin volunteering at a homeless shelter in Fort Worth, TX. They befriend an African American man who is illiterate, homeless, and has always been poor. Their lives couldn't be more different. Their mutual friendship is profound; they learn from each other; it made me ponder volunteerism in terms of how much time it may take to really make a difference, and what am I accomplishing with the volunteering I have done and am doing. I recommend reading this book if you are interested in these issues.

5. Raising Jake by Charlie Carillo (Kindle edition). Don't bother. It's a dumb book. I'm just trying to get through it so I can count it as my "J" book for the challenge list. Once I got far enough into it, I just decided to plow through and finish, but I don't recommend anyone else wasting their time on this one.

That's it for my book reports for now! Do you have any must-reads you have run across that you think should be on my (ever-growing) list?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right! The snow falling is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the video.

Anonymous said...

oops! I checked the quilt retreat link AFTER I commented. But what a lot of beautiful work was going on there! And it sounded like a lot of fun, too. Quilt bingo? I'm curious now.