Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reading Three Books at Once

I have three books going at once. I don't like to do this, but sometimes it just happens. Too many good books to read, not enough time!

Giraffe by J.M. Ledgard - a novel based on a true event that happened in Czechoslovakia in 1975. Secret police sealed off the zoo and killed 49 giraffes. Apparently this event was never fully explained until now. It's kind of an unusual book.. one character sleepwalks (and is sometimes awake, but it's hard to tell the difference). A couple of the chapters are narrated by a giraffe. I'm reading it out of curiosity.. not because I find it riveting. It's not. I'm almost done and soon will come upon the slaying of the dear, silent, gentle creatures... I hope I can stand it. Gulp!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - (written by an aunt/niece team. Isn't that interesting?) I'm so enjoying the lovely characters in this book! I haven't managed to read much of it yet. I'm not giving myself permission to go much further with it until I finish Giraffe. I can hardly wait 'til I can give this enchanting story my full attention.

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott - my book group at church is reading this. I love it!!! Lamott is a fabulous, funny, creative, honest person, revealing her own doubts and struggles with spirituality, coming to some conclusions that ring so true. This one is worth a second read.

Last night book group met at Megan's house. We had a wonderful and delicious dinner and good book discussion. I'm counting that gathering as my Wednesday Women IX lunch. Here is the very inviting and welcoming table that Megan set.



Here we are (some of us out of sight, and others camouflaged by flowers) enjoying the food and fellowship. It was a fun night.


Gratitudes:

1) friends socializing over good food and good books

2) a gorgeous day yesterday - sunny, breezy, not too hot, bright blue sky

3) soaking up my last few days of summer freedom - I'm loving staying at home and doing what I want when I want!

4) looking forward to an upcoming visit from my sister and nephew, and a niece's wedding

5) laughter and tears shared with friends - similar to number one but worth repeating - my book group rocks!

8 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I have an assortment of reading going on:
• The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R King (actually an audio book in the iPod that I am listening to while sewing)
• Spanish Dagger by Susan Whittig Albert
• The user's manual to the D60 Nikon camera
• The Photoshop Elements 6 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby
I don't like reading different books at the same time because I get lost. And as I age, I find it harder to read in a noisy environment.

Carol E. said...

Ditto on the noisy environment!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Carole,
I have the Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich ( I am on number 3 and there are 15) on my night table as well as an easy read by Karen Robards. I have on order from the library the Guernsey book but it will be awhile before it shows up on my door. I think there are 300 in line for it!! Oh well not enough time to read very fast these days..
I had not heard of giraffe story before- it sounds like a challenging story to deal with - quite sad...
Thanks for adding to my book list...
Regards,
Anna

Megs said...

Hey Carol!
I'm glad you had a good time last night - it was so fun to meet outside the church! I wish we could do that more often!
Sounds like your reading some interesting things... I don't know that I could handle the giraffe book... I'd cry the whole way through, just knowing what was going to happen!

Pam in KC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam in KC said...

The Giraffe book reminded me of a book I read -- 'Zarafa: A Giraffe's True Story' by Michael Allin. I heard about it on NPR. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5299974

Twisted Quilts said...

My cousin gave me the Potato Peel book and I loved it. It develops slowly but it is really good.

Leanne said...

I think you will really enjoy the Guernsey Literary.... book; at least I thought it was fun. You are a very electic reader! I bet it is fun to be in your reading group!