Saturday, May 19, 2007

Difficult Times

I have not had time or energy to do much sewing this week. I hope to get some done this weekend. Right now I am working on sandwiching a few charity quilts so I can get them off my mental "to-do" list and get them sent off to the kids.
I work in a public school district special ed program with Deaf/Hard of Hearing students. Our program has had a tough spring. Two deaf children have died this spring. While I did not know them personally, I know how it is to suddenly lose a student with whom you have built a strong bond. The DHH program is closely knit and we feel so tied to our students and hopeful for their futures. When someone is lost, it is a big blow.
One child was only about 6 yrs old. He and his family were fishing in the Mississippi when their boat capsized, and four people drowned, including the young deaf student who was in our program. Then this week there was a terrible and bizarre car crash in which a 14-year-old girl died. I hear she was a very loveable, personable, kind and friendly person. It is so hard on the staff who have worked with her over the years.
If you want to say a prayer for their families, please do so. Joshua and Amber are the children who are now mourned and missed so terribly.
Life is so precious and wonderful that the losses are deeply painful. And it's the sorrowful times that remind us of how precious life is. May we all celebrate our every moment with our children and friends and not take a moment for granted.
In honor of friends, I am posting this photo of my son and his college buddies, celebrating life and friendship:


4 comments:

Malagueta said...

Carol,

I know how you feel. Three of my colleagues and former colleagues passed away within a month of each other last year. One of them was one of my dearest friends. Each time I went to work, I was struck by memories of them. All during this, other less-than-positive events kept on piling on. But, I actually took comfort in retreating to my quilt room to make things right where I could, to make things of comfort for others, and to make things of joy for my family. I wish you the very best in getting through this difficult time.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh dear, I am so very sorry to hear such sad news. I WILL include them and their families in my prayers.

Granny said...

Carol, it's so hard to lose young people - so energetic and full of life and hope. I'll pray for all of you.

Helen said...

I am so sorry to hear of these tragedies.