Thursday, July 22, 2021

George Floyd Square

 I live in a St. Paul suburb and don't get to Minneapolis very often. Today while running errands I realized I was not far from George Floyd Square. I had never been there, so I decided to pay a visit. Cars can now drive through, but slowly, because there are still many tributes set up in the street along the sidewalk by Cup Foods and on the spot where George died. People still visit and mill about, so cars go carefully. Also, the famous raised fist and garden is in the center of the intersection of 38th and Chicago, which helps slow down the traffic. I did not feel in danger from traffic while there.



These (above) are about a block from the famous intersection.





A quilt was among the many tributes and memorials.


the spot where Mr. Floyd died


Being there is an emotional experience.
It still hurts.


Disappointment of the day: this shop I had heard of doesn't
open until 3:00 PM, and I was there at about 11:00 AM. I will be back.



4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Thank you for sharing this Carol!

Louise said...

Thank you for sharing these photos and your feelings. Very powerful.

Claire said...

Thanks for the visuals! I've read about the space and heard it mentioned, but this is the first I've seen any of it. Moving in pictured; I'm sure more so IRL

Lynn Dykstra said...

Thank you for these photographs. It is good to document this.