Friday, March 25, 2016

Friday Books: Nightingale

I completed reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It's an engaging story about World War II. It focuses on two sisters who had tough childhood and how their relationship was altered by their memories, birth order, etc. Their early life also affects how they responded to the war.

There are endless stories from that war, are there not? But I still find them fascinating. Some people have burned out on reading WWII books. If that is you, I can tell you that you can skip reading this one and not have your world come crashing down. One woman who saw me reading The Nightingale said the book is "life-changing." I'm not sure what she means by that. It's a good story, and I was drawn in, but it's not great. It didn't change my life much (other than that the act of reading is transformative in small steps, and the sum of what I have read has changed me over time). I am glad I read it, but I can only give it four stars (which, after all, is not a bad rating).

Happy spring reading!

No comments: